Ms. Setzer practices exclusively in the area of family law, advising clients in complex custody, support, and property matters related to dissolution, as well as post-judgment proceedings and the drafting of premarital agreements. Ms. Setzer has a Master’s in Business Administration from New York University and is also a Family Law Specialist as certified by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. Ms. Setzer volunteers her time as a Judge Pro Tem and also serves as Minor’s Counsel, representing minor children within the family court system.
Ms. Setzer has extensive experience in litigation as well as training and certification in various methods of alternate dispute resolution, including the Collaborative process . Her practice philosophy is that, while litigation is necessary at times, family law attorneys have an obligation to preserve relationships and conserve the client’s assets. In her experience, Ms. Setzer finds that using mediation, negotiation, and collaborative techniques before resorting to litigation often helps achieve these goals.
- Certified Family Law Specialist, certified by the State Bar of California Board of Legal
- Family law mediation training (40 hour program), May 2010
- Collaborative training, October 2013
- Associate of the Wallace Inn of Court (2006-2007)
- Admitted to California Supreme Court in 2007
- Admitted to US District Court, Southern District of California in 2007
- Member, California State Bar Family Law section
- Member, International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association
- Member, San Diego Lawyers Club. Board member from 2015-2018.
- Super Lawyer – 2015-2016 and 2019-2021
Volunteer Activities and Interests
Ms. Setzer is an avid traveler who has trekked through Ethiopia, Vietnam and hiked Mt. Kilimanjaro. She is the mother of one son and spends her spare time with friends, family and her colleagues.